Thursday, July 14, 2022

A FINE DAY FOR FLYING


On the viral issue about the alleged flight diversion under "Code 1" at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport last month, which neither the parties has confirmed nor denied in the context that " erroneous to prevent the spread of disinformation”, something is on my mind.

 

The airline has invoked internal policies governing discipline and the limitations under the Data Privacy Act of 2012.  Granting arguendo that the event or a similar event has happened, will the Data Privacy Act prevail over "the right to know" of passengers and stakeholders adversely affected by the delay, that caused connecting flights to be missed, the anxiety and stress to stay longer in a flight?  Is the inconvenience to the passengers compensable, at least with amenities and assistance, under the Bill of Rights for Air Passengers and Carrier Obligation (Joint DOTr-DTI Administrative Order No. 1, Series of 2012) The Order is not specified in these instances.  Just asking anyway.

 

Any pilot and airport personnel are fully aware of priority landings and take-off, which involves VIPs for security reasons, and aircraft-related incidents.

 

I've noted that pilots do not always inform the passengers outside of the fastening of seatbelts for final approach or to brace for expected turbulence. Yes, in the early '70s the pilot announced of the flight diversion only after riding off the very turbulent weather for over an hour.  

 

I used to be a regular passenger on the MNL-BXU route and have observed that landing and take-offs are limited in one direction only, secondary to natural and man-made flight obstructions. The plane lands from Butuan Bay, at 115 degrees heading towards Runway 12, and takes off at Runway 30, or at 295 degrees. (Runways are designated according to their heading or compass bearing).


On one of my morning flights to BXU the pilot made an attempt to land at Runway 30 which is not possible for a large aircraft and has to abort the landing. The cabin crew explained that the pilot will make another attempt because of the 
abrupt change of wind direction.   I am aware of the runway limitations and I was then seated (as always on a window seat) to clearly see that the tree leaves aren't even moving to validate the excuse. And, control towers in the airport of destination radio beforehand surface temperature, wind direction, precipitation, and other meteorological information.

 

Pilots may experience first time on routes, like the lady pilot I saw attempting to land in VRC that obviously was coming in too high.  Indeed she has to abort and take a 2nd attempt.

 

I always wanted to be a commercial pilot but was rejected because of my eyesight which needs correction earlier in my life. But with my keen interest in flying and being constantly airborne had somewhat made an invisible bond between me and a plate, that by visuals I know when to go up, when to lower the flaps on the final descent, rev up, gears down, reverse thrust, and brake.

 


One time I was so bored in a long-delayed flight that unknowingly I was muttering the procedure sequence audible enough for 2 guys on the opposite row to hear. They seems to be amused and gave me an impish salute upon landing. I later found out that they were pilots hitching a ride to MNL. 

 

Other than being a pilot I wanted to be an architect, though my paternal grandfather, and God perhaps, wanted me to wear "the cloth", but I'm glad I did not and God understood.

No comments:

"ET LUX IN TENEBRIS LUCIT" (And light shines in the darkness)

Semana Santa 2024 GOOD FRIDAY PROCESSION, ALBAY CATHEDRAL, LEGAZPI CITY One of the major activities during the Holy Week at the     Albay Ca...