Tuesday, July 12, 2022

CALL OF THE HEART, LAMENTATION OF THE SOUL


At the opening reception of KUGOS 3 Art Exhibit, with the theme "Padanayon... Pagkamalinalang sa Gabos na Panahon." Kugos is a Bikol term of endearment meaning "embrace", and "Padanayon... Pagkamalinalang sa Gabos na Panahon" is translated as Perpetuate or sustain creativity at all times. 


Thank you and congratulations to Melcor "Chito" Lotivio Aguilar and the Kudos artists group, exhibit organizers, sponsors, and patrons.


It was an event that was also for reuniting with childhood friends, former neighbors, meeting interesting new friends, and all who speak in pastel language.




The love and talent for the arts is something that I have failed to PERPETUATE in me, though I have never ceased to be creative in many other ways like in photography and poetry. But as I always say, an artist will always be an artist for the discipline is what flows in his/her veins, art is what makes his breath, make his heartbeat, and makes him see the world beautifully different.


But why have I "ran away" from it, as those who know me often ask, just as I have stopped singing since my 2nd year in high school (when I hated my music teacher for tearing my perfect exam just because I did not notice I had on my desk an extra blank sheet, then later powdered me with chalk dust thinking that we were laughing at her thick rediculous make up.).



My reasons are:


1. In the last exhibit that I participated one of my works was asked to be taken down just because some religious students from an all-girls school were coming. My works were not even sexually explicit. It was just a line of naked couples in a tight embrace and passionate kiss but looking closely it was just some twisted trees against a setting sun. Another work of an artist was also "censored" when it was just a landscape but up close was a naked woman in peaceful repose. The hypocrisy that stunts creativity?


2. My law and graduate studies, work, and other social responsibilities have taken up most of my time, energy, and focus that lately I have to re-learn digital photography, but not enhanced nor photoshopped output. A fellow artist once said that heavily photoshopped photos are no longer art. I agree as the camera is an extension of the eyes, mind, and heart to capture the emotions conveyed by the subject.


3. Art has slowly chipped off the other facets of my identity. Friends would often introduce me as someone who is good at painting, or upon hearing my family name I would be asked if I am from Catanduanes. And when I say yes the next comment would be "so you are also good at painting?" 


Well, I am also modestly good in other endeavors.


Yes, an artist will always be one. It will always manifest even in his outlook in life, values, ethical standards, and even socio-political orientation, THAT YOUR SCREAMING ARTIST'S SOUL, MAY JUST WAKE YOU UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT.


How I wish Reese, the Lady Moo budding artist, was also with me for her to be inspired.


















jaime e. masagca

#advocatusdiaboli

#chasinglightschasingdreams

No comments:

"ET LUX IN TENEBRIS LUCIT" (And light shines in the darkness)

Semana Santa 2024 GOOD FRIDAY PROCESSION, ALBAY CATHEDRAL, LEGAZPI CITY One of the major activities during the Holy Week at the     Albay Ca...